Monday, June 16, 2008

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 cup butter or margarine (softened)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
3 ½ cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips½ cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix ingredients in order. Bake at 350 until golden brown. Do not over bake.

I got this recipe from nice lady in my old ward. She told me she got the recipe from her Great-Aunt who never married, so she loved to bake. When I make them I have a few specifics that I use, and a thing or two I change. First, I think they turn out better when you use real butter. I also use Mexican Vanilla, it gives them such a nice flavor. Depending on your elevation, the amount of flour you add might differ more or less. After you make them a couple times you will find the right consistency. I also use a whole bag of chocolate chips just because I like lots in my cookies. When I put them on the cookie sheet, I semi flatten them, it makes a flatter cookie which I prefer. Depending on the size of the cookies, bake about 10-12 minutes. After cookies cool, keep them in a zip lock bag, it keeps them softer, longer. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mallory said...

i made these today! this was my first attempt at baking homemade cookies with out the help of my mom, and they turned out really good!! yay me! thanks for posting the recipe!