Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Snickerdoodles

I have an on-going love affair with Snickerdoodles, ever since getting them from Subway a year ago. What is that you say? Subway doesn't have Snickerdoodle. But alas, you would be wrong and right. Yes, they don't normally have them, but during the Christmas holidays they make them (I'm not sure if it's EVERY store, but mine does, so go check yours during the holidays). They are truly the best cookies ever.

This recipe isn't as good as Subway, but they are still good. And they are soft, which is a huge plus for me. Who wants a crunchy cookie?!

Snickerdoodles
Dough:
1 cup butter
1 ½ cups sugar (soft - if your butter is cold you can microwave it in the wrapper for about 10-15 seconds to soften)
2 large eggs
2 ¾ cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt

Coating to roll cookies in:
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
2. Mix sugar for coating and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Mix butter, sugar and eggs thoroughly in a large bowl.
4. Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
5. Blend dry ingredients into butter mixture.
6. Chill dough, and chill an ungreased cookie sheet for about 10-15 minutes in the fridge.
7. Once chilled, roll 1-inch globs of dough into balls and then roo in sugar/cinnamon mixture - coat well. (I leave my cookie sheet in the fridge while I roll the dough so it stays cold. The finished cookie balls I just place on a plate until I have enough to place on the cookie sheet)
8. Place balls on the chilled ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
(Cookies may not look done, they are misleading. Just trust that they are done and take them out. Although this may vary according to altitude, so test your first batch before cooking more.)
9. Once cooked, remove from pan immediately and cool on a cooling rack.

Depending on size of cookies, this make about 2 dozen large cookies.

1 comment:

Tyson and Angela said...

Wow! Those look really yummy, and they are Tyson's favorite cookie. I have been trying to find the best snickerdoodle recipe, so I will definitely have to try this one out! Thanks a bunch...and I am sure Tyson will thank you too! ;)