Friday, September 10, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I got this recipe from here and here. I combined them, using the ingredients/measurements I wanted, and then re-named it "cake" instead of "brownies." Also, I added chocolate chips to the batter.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional -- I don't add nuts because my kids won't eat them. ... I think next time I'll add nuts. ☺)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (also optional)


Frosting:

6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
powder
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  • In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
  • Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake springs back when gently touched. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled cake before cutting into squares. (I put the frosting on while both the frosting and cake are still hot -- I like how the frosting seeps into the cake.)

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Sounds good! I've got a yummy choc zucchini cake recipe I grew up on. I'll have to share it with you sometime. Instead of frosting, my grandma would always just top it with choc chips and walnuts. I remember trying to pick them off the cake and eat them without getting caught. :)

Amy Marshall said...

I am so doing this today for the Morgan family party!!