Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup

I searched and searched the Internet for a recipe that I thought looked good. A lot of them failed because I wasn't going to be making homemade noodles. So I read about 5 of them and then just made up my own recipe. It may not be perfect, certainly worth trying, but I liked it!

Chicken Noodle Soup

3 chicken breasts
2-3 stalks of celery
3 carrots
2 can chicken broth
7-8 cups water
1-2 tsp. Chicken bouillon
1 tbsp. Dehydrated onions
Sprinkle of garlic
Sprinkle of onion salt
Sprinkle of dried parsley
Salt & Pepper to taste
8 or 12 oz. Bag of wide egg noodles (any noodles would work)

Trim fat from chicken. Slice up celery & carrots. Place all ingredients (except noodles) in large pot. Bring to boil, simmer until chicken is very tender (about 45 minutes to an hour). Remove chicken breast; allow cooling, cut in small pieces, and return to pot.

Cook noodles (in another pot) until done, and combine with soup.

*I actually moved my soup into a crock pot and then used the same pot to cook my noodles in, that way the soup stayed warm in the crock pot while the noodles cooked and even all the way until I served dinner without over cooking.

**A lot of these directions are just estimates because after making this soup I discovered that it could be made a lot of different ways. This is the way I made it, maybe next time I’ll make it a little different!

***This made a LOT of soup. It filled my big crock pot up, so fix it when you have more than 3 people to serve. Needless to say, we'll be eating chicken noodle soup leftovers for about a week!

****Does anyone know the cook times for doing this solely in the crock pot?

No comments: