Thursday, June 3, 2010

Strawberries & Cream Cake

I made an awesome cake for Bo's birthday, if I do say so myself. It was inspired by the cakes that my work used to buy for birthday. I believe they were made by the Safeway Bakery.

First I cooked a white cake. A vanilla cake could probably be used if wanted. Cook the cake as directed on the box. Allow the cake to cool. Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack and cut it in half like this:

Return the bottom piece to the pan and then frost the bottom piece with cool whip or whipped cream. Then layer it with fresh, sliced strawberries. **Now here is where I would make a change, the middle needed more "juice", so when I make this again, I will add some sugar/stevia/sweetener to the strawberries with a little water to make a little syrup to add to the layer.

Carefully add the top layer back on. This was the hard part, it took some "finesse", and mine didn't turn out pretty, I had to do a little repair.

Frost the top with more whipped cream. Then more strawberries if desired. (Since I'm off of chocolate, I didn't, but I thought it would be pretty/artistic/yummy to shave some chocolate on top)

A view from the side. Refrigerate leftovers.

And it was SUPER good! Mmmm... I wish I had some fresh strawberries...

No comments: