Monday, March 21, 2011

Dreamy Lemon Rice Pudding

In my recent quest to find foods that agree with my stomach, I found this book and this recipe in the book. Because I'm eliminating certain foods right now, I used rice milk, even though it warns that it won't be as creamy. It was delicious, but runny. So I tweaked the recipe a little, and I'm in love! I've never been a rice pudding fan, but I like my version of this recipe because it's smoother, more like tapioca, and I love the lemon instead of traditional cinnamon.

3 cups rice milk
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon canola oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 organic egg whites, whipped until they just barely hold soft peaks
4 cups cooked brown rice
Zest of 1 lemon, grated or minced (do NOT use lemon juice)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat the egg whites in a crock pot. In a blender, combine the milk, water, sugar, salt, and rice. Blend for 30-60 seconds. Add to egg whites and stir. Stirring every 15 minutes, cook in crock pot for 1 1/2 hours or until temperature reaches 150. Add the lemon zest and vanilla.

No comments: