Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Sugar, Shamrocks and Fudge Frosting



Shamrocks (or any other shape you want):
I googled "shamrocks," found one I liked, and then printed a page of various sizes of them.
Then I taped this page to the table, layered wax paper on top, taped that to the table, too, and then "drew" the shamrock shapes on the wax paper using melted chocolate chips in a frosting bag. You could use white chocolate or almond bark. Sprinkle with colored sugar before the chocolate sets up.



Colored sugar (on the cheap!)
I just made this up as I went, but these are approximately the proportions I used:
~3 Tb. regular sugar
~8 drops food coloring
Shake well.
Then add ~1/2-1 tsp. corn starch to make it not clumpy.

I put it in an empty salt shaker. It worked really well.

Fudge Frosting
This recipe is one I adapted from Better Homes & Gardens.
1/2 cup butter
~1/2 cup chocolate chips (this turns out so much tastier with the chocolate chips)
1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/3 cup water
4 1/4 powdered sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder together in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often. Remove from heat.

Add 2 cups powdered sugar.  Mix well. Add water and remainder of powdered sugar. mix well. Add vanilla; Mix.

No comments: