Thursday, March 13, 2008

Turkey Meatloaf

Turkey Meatloaf

2 eggs
1 Cup crushed Saltine Crackers
1/4 cup chopped onion (fresh or dehydrated)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1 lb. Sausage
1-1½ lb. Ground Turkey
½ Can of Tomato Sauce

TOPPING:
1/2 cup tomato sauce
¼ cup Ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoon Orange Juice

Mix together Turkey & Sausage. Beat eggs and add to meat. Add crackers, onion, salt, pepper, & tomato sauce. Mix well.

Mix makes two loaves, or shape into inch thick patties for shorter cooking time.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours for loaves. Combine topping and spoon over meatloaf after about 30 minutes. Spoon topping over meatloaf every 10-15 minutes while meatloaf is cooking.For patties bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. to an hour. Spoon topping on each patty after 30 minutes of cooking.

For patties bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. to an hour. Bake them on a cookie sheet, be sure to spray the sheet with non-stick spray first. Spoon topping on each patty after 30 minutes of cooking. At the end of baking cut a patty in half to make sure it's done.

*Editors Note: I did them in patties for the first time and I liked it so much better! For one, it makes single servings and if you only need a couple you can freeze the rest and have them for another time. Second thing, I think they are less fattening. When they cook on the cook sheet they don't bake/marinate in the grease like the loaf does in the bread pan.

*If you are looking to make them more healthy, I use whole grain saltine crackers, you can't even tell the difference. Using the Turkey just makes it taste so good, with less fat then with beef. You also don't have to use the sausage, but I like the flavor it adds, I use the hot sausage in mine for the extra kick. I heard on a TV/Cooking show that you can also include veggies in it. This particular woman I was watching put grated carrots for added nutrition.

*Don't be afraid to experiment! The last time I cooked this, I added some different spices to my mix. I think I added some Garlic Powder, some Mrs. Dash(I love this stuff, I put it in everything!), and some cayenne for spice for Bo. Just try different things, you'd be surprised what tastes good. If you are again going healty, leave the salt out and add more spices to even out the lack of salt.

Lastly, don't think that I'm a health nut by using turkey. I have been converted by me. I don't like ground beef, but I've always just dealt with it. So one day I just tried the ground turkey and made it into Taco meat and LOVED it. Even Bo, my steak-eatin' man, likes the turkey better.

2 comments:

Katy said...

This Meatloaf is AMAZING!!! I love it!!! I have told everyone about it and told them all to try it, it is the best I have ever tried!!!

John and Laura said...

We finally had this meatloaf tonight, and mmm good! Awesome recipe. Thanks! I am finding more recipes all the time using sausage and it makes everything taste so good.